What if we need to return to school?

Please note: External links are provided for information purposes only, Texas Unschoolers does not endorse, recommend, or make any representations about the entities listed below. Also, please note that if you are no longer homeschooling – you may be subject to different educational laws/statutes.

We can no longer Unschool, what are our options?

We understand that there are times where Unschooling just isn’t working for a specific child or a family as a whole. Often times a working status changes and being available for a child isn’t possible as needed to facilitate their learning and interests. Sometimes a family status changes and homeschooling, in any form, is no longer possible. Here are a few options that are available:


If you haven’t already looked into them, perhaps Self-Directed/Sudbury inspired schools/co-ops/communities will work in your situation.

Private Schools

Charter Schools

Charter schools can be an alternative option for publicly funded education. Ones that are designed around unique talents/interests of some students can be especially appealing. You can find more information at Texas Public Charter Schools Association.

Public School

You’ll need to contact the local public school your child is assigned to attend in your district to determine their procedure for enrolling & placement. The TEA has a page here outlining what schools can & can’t do when accepting a previously homeschooled student.

Note: We generally don’t suggest you bend over backwards trying to create some type of transcript or “proof” of what you’ve been doing or how “well” your children have been learning. It’s been our experience that no matter what the parents submit – public schools will either place by age &/or testing they administer.

Additional alternatives that may be an option for older teens:

Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit

Even children who have not graduated can take college courses (even if they aren’t seeking a degree). We’ve detailed a variety of paths on our After Graduation page.


In Texas, students as young as 16 may be eligible to take a High School equivalency exam. Learn more about the GED or HiSet options.