• It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
    — Albert Einstein

Movie: Being and Becoming

Discussion in 'Books & Movies' started by TexMom, Apr 25, 2016.

1. TexMom

TexMom 25+ Posts Admin

We watched this film at the 2016 TexUns Conference. The filmmaker is working on having screenings in the U.S. soon.

If you were at the conference, I'd love for us to discuss some of the principals that were explored in the movie here. Here's the trailer for those that have not seen it yet.

BeingAndBecomingFilm.com

Being and Becoming explores the theme of trusting children and their development, and invites us to question our learning paradigms and options.

The filmmaker takes us on a journey of discovery through the US, France, the UK and Germany (where it's illegal not to go to school.) We meet parents who have made the choice of not schooling their children, neither at school nor at home, but of letting them learn freely what they are truly passionate about.

It is a quest for truth about the innate desire to learn. It belongs to a wider theme than education, connected to a change in our belief system and to our society's evolution, as well as to the importance of reclaiming one's life and self-confidence.

Naomi Aldort — An Unschooling Life
    anunschoolinglife.com
    An Unschooling Life was created in 2005 as a way of chronicling our unschooling journey and to also give encouragement and advice to those who want to start on this path. We are a multiracial family of five consisting of myself (Joanne), my husband Billy, my son Cimion and my daughters Shawna & Jacqueline. We also have two dogs (Mini & TJ) and an iguana named Buddie.

Naomi-Aldort.jpg

John Taylor Gatto — Author and Educator
    www.johntaylorgatto.com
    American author and former school teacher who taught in the classroom for nearly 30 years. He was named New York City Teacher of the Year in 1989, 1990, and 1991, and New York State Teacher of the Year in 1991. He is best known for the underground classic “Dumbing Us Down: the Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling”, and “The Underground History of American Education: A Schoolteacher’s Intimate Investigation Into the Problem of Modern Schooling.”

john-taylor-gatto.jpg

Arno Stern
    arnostern.com/en/index.html
    In 1946, at the age of 22, Stern entered an institution for war orphans. He got the children painting, and immediately understood the primordial role of the play inspired by this activity, for which he created an original environment.

arno-stern.jpg

A.S. Neill — Summerhill School
    www.summerhillschool.co.uk
    Alexander Sutherland Neill, known as A. S. Neill, was a Scottish educator and author known for his school, Summerhill School, and its philosophies of freedom from adult coercion and community self-governance.

neill.jpg

Leslie Safran Barson — The Otherwise Club
    www.theotherwiseclub.org.uk
    The Otherwise Club is a community centre for families choosing to learn together without school. It provides opportunities to meet regularly, exchange views, offer mutual support, as well as organize activities and trips for families with at least one child of school age out of school.

Leslie-Safran-Barson.png

Alan Thomas
    Institute of Education — University of London
    www.ioe.ac.uk/staff/PHDT/24653.html
    Alan is a developmental psychologist. He has been a teacher at all levels, from primary school through to university in the UK, Holland, Spain and Australia. For the last 12 years he has been a Visiting Fellow at the Institute of Education, University of London, researching home education, especially informal/autonomous/unschooling/natural learning. He has written three books, the most recent one jointly with Harriet Pattison. Altogether he has worked with nearly 200 families in the UK, Australia and Ireland.

alan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  2. TexMom

TexMom 25+ Posts Admin

In the movie, A.S. Neil was quoted as saying to parents that it was Freedom, not license that he was promoting for children.

I'm curious to know what you all thought about that? What does freedom mean? What does License mean? And how do we integrate these principals into our lives with our children.