• The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don’t tell you what to see.
    — Alexandra K. Trenfor

Getting Started --

Discussion in 'Homeschooling/Unschooling Support' started by Jennifer Marr, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Jennifer Marr

Jennifer Marr New Member

We are in Crosby. I have 4 kids. My oldest, a boy, wants to be homeschooled. I am super nervous I'm going to screw his education up. One of my daughters is in a local private school because she has really struggled in the public school. Because I feel like my son would be able to "bounce" back into the public I was thinking of trying homeschooling with him first. I think she NEEDS to be homeschooled. She has ADHD and Oppositional Defiance Disorder.

I have a bachelors of science in math, but I'm just not sure I can teach my kids enough to be successful in college. I'm wondering how hard is it to un-enroll your kids from the public school and then say you realize you just can't do it, put them back in public schools? I really want this to work, as does my son, but I'm still really nervous. There are so many programs to help homeschool your child, but some are very expensive. Any suggestions on programs that won't break the bank for my 4 kids that will actually give us a foundation to work from.

Thanks for any help!

2. TexMom

TexMom 25+ Posts Admin

Hi Jennifer,

It can be super scary to take your kids out of public school. I believe anyone who has had kids in school and then taken them out to homeschool is going to be nervous.

I would suggest that when you take him out (and if you take your daughter out as well) that you start off with an extended period of deschooling. If you google it, you'll find lots of information about it. There is an article on the website about deschooling. I will offer you a few links to others as well:

http://www.texasunschoolers.com/2014/deschooling-why-its-important

http://www.unschoolingmom2mom.com/deschooling.html

http://www.joyfullyrejoycing.com/wanting-to-see-structured-learning

http://livingjoyfully.ca/deschooling/

One of the biggest hurdles parents face when they start homeschooling is to stop creating an environment that looks like school. We are so used to the school model and many are afraid that if they don't follow that model, their kids will not learn anything. However, you are wanting to take them out of that environment for a reason, right? So why try to duplicate it?

One question you might ask yourself and your kids is - Do they want to go to college? If so, what do they hope to accomplish there? What do they want to study? If they don't know, then maybe they can explore some areas of interest before hitting the college track. Many kids go to college just for the sake of college. They don't really know why or what they want to do there. Another idea - kids don't have to start college at 18. They can start at 20 or 40 or 60. There is no deadline for getting to college. So it doesn't have to be a big rush. Many homeschool kids start community college at age 15 or 16. Some parents write out a transcript for their kids and they take the SAT. There are many, many ways for homeschool kids to go to college - if that is what they want to do.

One of the best things you can do for yourself and your kids is to give yourselves the gift of time. Time to breathe. Time to explore things that they (and you) are interested in. Time to rest and recuperate from what sounds like a difficult time in school. As you do this, you will see that your kids are learning all kinds of things. And best of all, they will be learning about themselves.

As for your question about whether you can easily put your kids back in school - the short answer is yes. However, I would really look at why you are asking this question. If putting them back in school is in the back of your mind, when it gets rough or when you get scared you may put them back unnecessarily. If you want to commit to homeschooling why not just jump right in? It can work and will when we are able to think outside of the "schoolish" box and see how, what, when and where our kids are learning - All of the Time. Sometimes it feels like a stretch at times, but they are always learning. Maybe not the way they do in school but they are learning lots if you're willing to look for it.

When you take them out, perhaps you can all just take a big break. Take walks, sleep late, watch movies, go bowling or whatever seems fun and can reconnect you all to each other. As time goes by, you will get into a flow and interests that your kids have will emerge.

I hope this helps a bit. Read as much as you can about homeschooling or better yet, unschooling and try to relax into it. There really is no rush to get anywhere. Your kids will get where they want to go in perfect timing! Good luck!

TexDad likes this.